Sydney armed man arrested after woman stabbed and body of another found in CBD


August 13, 2019 17:24:05

A woman’s body has been found in a building on Clarence Street in central Sydney after a major police operation shut down part of the CBD.

Key points:

  • Members of the public apprehended the man using a milk crate, chair and crowbar
  • A dead woman with stab wounds was found in a nearby building. Police are investigating if the incidents are connected
  • Another woman has been taken to St Vincent’s Hospital with a stab wound

Police investigating the death say it is not yet clear if it is connected with an earlier knife attack and pursuit in the city.

A police source told the ABC the dead woman appeared to have suffered stab wounds.

Forensic police and paramedics are still inside the building on Clarence Street, which houses both residential apartments and businesses.

It comes after a man armed with a large knife was arrested after allegedly stabbing a woman, injuring her, about 2:00pm today, sparking a major police operation.

The injured woman was taken to St Vincent’s hospital in a stable condition.

Police and NSW Ambulance paramedics found the injured woman inside the Hotel CBD, on the corner of King and Clarence streets.

Video taken at the scene shows passers-by using chairs, a crowbar and a milk crate to apprehend the alleged offender, before he was arrested by authorities.

Police have asked people to avoid the area.

One witness told the ABC he was walking towards Wynyard Park when a man came running around the corner “with a long knife”.

Channel 7 cameraman Paul Walker, who was stuck in traffic in the area, told the ABC the man was “covered in blood”.

“He jumped on the roof of the car behind us,” he said.

“Then suddenly these firies who were in a firetruck a couple of vehicles in front jumped out.

“They had axes in their hand and were yelling at him to stop, put his weapon down and he just ignored them.”

The man then ran down a nearby street.

“Another person [on the street] was screaming at people to get out of the way, the fact he had a knife and the fact he was going to kill you.”

He said the alleged offender was then knocked to the ground by a member of the public who grabbed a chair and “whacked him”.

“Seconds later he was just piled on by quite a few people.”

When the man fell he dropped a knife into the gutter.

Speaking on the incident this afternoon, NSW Police Superintendent Gavin Wood said the man had stabbed a woman before trying to stab others.

“There has been, again, subsequent to that stabbing a number of attempted stabbings by the same offender and bearing in mind we have multiple crime scenes, we are in the infancy stage of this investigation,” he said.

He said the man had been arrested and “the threat has been negated”.

“The male offender was on his own and there was no other person complicit at this stage.”

‘These people are heroes’

Superintendent Wood lauded the actions of the bystanders who restrained the alleged offender and called them “heroes”.

“They were brave and I can only use that word seriously — they were significantly brave people,” he said.

“To approach a person with a mindset of obviously what this person did, with clear evidence of a stabbing previously, these people are heroes.”

The man has been taken to Day Street Police Station.

A number of crime scenes have been established and a number of road closures are in place.

It is expected to have significant impact on traffic and public transport this afternoon.





First posted

August 13, 2019 14:26:40

About The Author